Romans 8:1 says there is no condemnation for those who belong to Jesus. Condemnation is defined as ‘very strong disapproval’ and is probably a word we can quickly associate with. I mean, who hasn’t lived with the horrid feeling of condemnation? But the bible tells us we can stand before God the Father totally free from the feeling of condemnation.
How is that possible? I can tell you that I often feel condemned and I’m presuming you would feel the same about yourself! Romans 8 1-4 gives us the reasons why. It’s the verses which start the argument with ‘because’ to stress that we cannot be condemned because Jesus dealt with reason for the condemnation. It’s worth listing the reasons and reading them over and over again…
- because you belong to him; Jesus.
- because the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin.
- because the law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature, So God did what the law could not do.
- because He sent his own Son in a body like the one we sinners have. (Therefore, Jesus knows all our sin and temptation and weaknesses)
- because in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us
- because God gave his Son as a sacrifice for our sins.
- because He did this, the just requirement of the law would be fully met for us,
- because we no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit.
So the next time you have that familiar feeling of condemnation go back and check out this list of reasons why it can’t be true and work which one you don’t believe. Because the only reason you feel condemned is because you’ve forgotten the truth of what Jesus did because the reality is: there is no condemnation for those who belong to Jesus.
I know you will bring up a counter argument with me on this. So check out next week’s blog for the continuing saga…